11 replies to this topic

#1 boyermichael942

boyermichael942

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

Coincidentally, I'll be speaking to two different individuals this weekend from 2 different churches that are involved in teaching financial principals to their respective congregations.  One has been teaching the church using the Dave Ramsey program.  The other is currently in preparation for teaching an 8 hour course and is exploring the Dave Ramsey (as well as other) programs to use.

I was hoping I could get some insight here, from individuals here who have been involved in both programs.  What are the strong points of the Ramsey program?  What additional benefits does the Life Financial Fitness Program brings to the table?  I want to be able to point out they made a good choice in picking the Ramsey program, but can make their program great by bringing in the extra benefits of the FF program.  I know the Into to FF points out some differences of the FF to other programs, but was hoping to get some specifics here.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

• LK.Seaman, Mary Doucette, Neal Ruffner and 5 others like this

#2 SuprStiehl

SuprStiehl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

The Ramsey program is pretty good however only focuses on people getting out of debt. Some of the principles and strategies are shared between Ramsey and the Finanical Fitness for getting out of debt, so if that is their goal then either will do. With the Ramsey program, when people do get out of debt, then what? It doesnt really go in to great detail on the offense of finances not to mention understanding how money works with the playing field. The people at LIFE have done a fantastic job with scouring through financial principles, living them out and then putting them in the Financial Fitness Challenge! Not only will people learn the defense and get out of debt, they will learn to change habits and view points on money, learn how to generate more income, create an asset that will spoon off income for the rest of their lives, recession proof people, even prepare them for what to do if the currency and economy crashes to nothing and helps you understand how money works in general! Ramsey doesnt...

I have gone through both and will hand someone the Financial Fitness any day because of the value they will get for the same price.

Additionally, with the Financial Fitness, you can get yours for FREE!!! Again, Ramsey...you cannot... :)
  • Mary Doucette, slpries, Dave Ober and 12 others like this

#3 John Feldhouse

John Feldhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

Great question, Michael.

It's a topic near and dear to my heart as Dave was the first financial book I ever read and it was what ultimately got us out of debt (the first time, since then, I had a porch falling down on my house that I desired to fix so I could sell this summer). I'm about to start a seminar through our church using the FF pack, not Dave. Why?

The FF pack is a more thorough overview of money. Dave simply gives 6 steps to follow and doesn't dig into WHY you do the things you do. He tells you some of the reasons why, but the FF pack gives you background, vision, how-to, concepts around money, your dreams as motivation (huge component of actually getting out of debt), actual ways to gainfully make money, common myths about money debunked, plus investing tips for the future. 

Dave is a very bite-sized view of getting out of debt. The FF pack is a comprehensive, exhaustive view on money and your future. It truly emphasizes not just how to get out of debt but how to LIVE. 

Like many have said, getting out of debt is not easy, but it's worth it! Hopefully this helps a little.

• Mary Doucette, p&gzills, teamwhilelife and 8 others like this

"Be curious, not judgmental."
              – Walt Whitman

#4 Neal Ruffner

Neal Ruffner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrand Blanc, MI

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

I haven't taken the Ramsey program, but at my church we took a course hosted by Crown Financial Ministries. It was a good program, informative and challenging in regards to knowing a Biblical view on finances. I gained some great insight from it. 

As compared to the Life Leadership Financial Fitness Program the CFM was good but not great. The FFP not only offers some biblical basics of finances but it goes into the offence AND defense of personal finances. Most programs like the CFM only offer materials on the defense of finances. Granted, this is extremely important to people and is where many people struggle, but once you learn to handle the money you already have/make there needs to be a next step to move forward and create more wealth or help more people. 

There are lots of good programs out there, but the FFP is a GREAT program! Oh, and not to mention, it is a program that one can make thousands of extra dollars with on a regular basis if he/she chooses to share it with others. :) Not to shabby! 

• Mary Doucette, ejbrodberg74, p&gzills and 2 others like this

Neal Ruffner

Liberators

LT-IT

#5 galileo

galileo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Thanks for starting this thread!

I think there is merit in pointing out one of the strengths with the FFP lies with the additional (reinforcement) of the 12 month Financial Fitness Subscription. I have known several people who found Ramsey's info valuable, but once removed from the immediacy of the program itself, lacking the on-going coaching and mentoring, they struggled to maintain the discipline to be successful long term in their finances. The FF subscription helps to reinforce what is learned in the FFP and keeps the principles of finances in the forefront.
  • Mary Doucette, Dave Ober, p&gzills and 7 others like this

#6 LK.Seaman

LK.Seaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Great topic! Really good info!

• DWRascalROKofKaizen and jimwirshing like this

#7 sgtmom1-Angel

sgtmom1-Angel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationFielding, Utah

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

Having been through Financial Peace University (FPU) it is a good program that is simple and straightforward. It gives great how to's for getting out of debt and prioritizing money. I know the military chaplains use this because debt is a rampant problem in the enlisted and officer ranks. They offered it while to my husband while in Afghanistan. But there can be a seamless transition between the two, they are both based on principles. The principles are emphasized in FFP versus FPU, because techniques can be different but principles never change. Dave does a lot of scriptural reference like FFP. I do like there is a fleshing out of the other principles that you progress through FFP as you are ready. In my opinion, if you have participated in FPU then you can graduate to FFP and delve more deeply into offense and defense of finance. You can live the life you have always wanted.  

• John Feldhouse, spartan1, Nancy.Bacheldor and 1 other like this

http://freedomlifeli...e.blogspot.com/

Listening to many, many Audios and Reading from several books at once, absorbing and integrating the information, Transforming myself into the woman I need to be to fulfill my mission and purpose which Heavenly Father put me me on earth to do.  

#8 AmaliaC

AmaliaC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationBrantford, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:13 PM

I too took Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University through my church.  While it was a great program for getting out of debt and helped a lot of people I agree with everyone above regarding the differences the Financial Fitness Pack offers.  The WHYs? are huge!  

The one major difference I found was that I live in Canada, so there was one whole chapter in FPU that was not applicable.  They had a FPU Rep come and discuss investments, but I was more lost than ever.  FFP clarified all of that and of course the subscription afterwards will just re-emphasize all that I have learned and help keep me on track.  

• jimwirshing likes this

Amalia
     <><  

#9 Charles Gopez

Charles Gopez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:37 AM

I've never dug into Ramsey's materials, but I've heard great things about that program. From what I've been told by friend who've applied that material, the focus seems to be on the "defense" of finances (saving and eliminating debt).

The major departure point between our Financial Fitness Pack and other major finance programs on the market is:

Ours encompasses not only the "defense" of personal finance (keeping one's money) but also the "offense" (growing one's money) and "playing field" (the big picture, money's role in society and government).

Well, that...and we have an Orrin telling us that government is more likely to take your money than your brain, lol (it's not supposed to be funny, but I think it is).
  • jimwirshing likes this

#10 Scott.Farnell

Scott.Farnell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationFenton, MI

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

A key advantage of the FFP is the introduction of a "money view" and an understanding on where that comes from.  Most of us are never really taught about how money works and why it behaves like it does.  Few understand that it is predictable and follows patterns based on principals that are known.  We learned from the example that was set for us, often our parents, guardians and relatives.  We are offering a program that helps us review our habits and actively introduce new, positive habits to replace what doesn't work.  This is something that I have not really found available without direct consultation from an experienced mentor.  What the FFP offers is a way to have a conversation with yourself, under the tutelage of wealthy benefactors, (through the workbook, text book and CDs) to create personal financial wisdom.  

Although the Dave Ramsey program does a good job giving instruction and simple steps to get out of debt, without an understanding of money what's to keep someone from digging back into debt.  It's like the Ramsey program helps someone out of a ditch on the side of the road.  The Financial Fitness Pack paints clear lines on the road so that, upon completion, the person never ends up in the ditch again.   

• DWRascalROKofKaizen, David Youngblood, spartan1 and 3 others like this

#11 gregory_d_bie

gregory_d_bie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLondon, ON

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

I remember buying Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover" book, and found it very helpful and informative.  Like the above posts, I believe the FF pack does flesh things out a lot more.  Thanks everyone for the advice!  This was very helpful for me.  :)

• jimwirshing likes this

#12 Mikeatlife

Mikeatlife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

I can say that with Dave Ramsey, there is a DVD that gets played and teaches the class. I was in a class of 20 and the instructor simply played the disc and then led a discussion that was directed by the leaders workbook. So from a standpoint of presentation, FPU makes it simple to teach.
I love the idea of an intro class that they can then buy the product and apply what they teach themselves however. Quick and easy.
  • ejbrodberg74, spartan1 and jimwirshing like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Financial Fitness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users