10 replies to this topic

#1 marksturgell

marksturgell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDecatur, IL USA

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:07 PM

I have been volunteering at our local minimum security women's correctional center for more than a decade. I speak to a career class monthly and larger special events a couple times each year, including bi-annual "re-entry" programs for ladies about to be released.  Whenever I speak, I am always asked "What books should we be reading?"  I always make suggestions, knowing that the inmates may not have access to the titles until released.  There is a library, but it doesn't offer as much as the librarian would like.

My solution?  I plan to donate some books and have asked others for local financial donations so I can increase the number of titles and copies of certain books.  God has already given this some wings, but I am praying for something BIG to come from my efforts.

Has anyone else ever done something like this? Any ideas?  Any specific titles you would suggest? (I have quite a few pegged already, but if I get financial support from others who knows what is possible?)  Any titles specifically geared toward women with which I might not be familiar?

By the way, CDs are NOT allowed. They are considered weapons as they are easily broken into sharp pieces.

And I encourage others to initiate similar efforts near you.  Much more rehabilitation (transformation, really) goes on in well-run minimum-security prisons than most people expect.  These are great women of all ages. I care a great deal about them and want to do all I can to help them live the life they've always wanted.

Mark Sturgell

• sscolvin, Jim Steward, SuprStiehl and 4 others like this

Mark Sturgell, CBC

"Helping people with dreams become leaders with vision."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Phone: 217.362.0500
Cell: 217.433.4129

Mark Sturgell personal and business strategist who works with individuals, teams and organizations to overcome the challenges they face, improve performance and achieve breakthrough results by providing a no-nonsense structure and process for growth.

Mark is also a personal and organizational coach and facilitator who lifts up the church and it's leaders. I listen, encourage, train and inspire so their ministries can endure and thrive. 

#2 CJ Calvert

CJ Calvert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:50 AM

Sounds like you are doing good work, Mark.  Keep making a difference!

• SarahLHaddon and marksturgell like this

Choose to live an exceptional LIFE!  Phillippians 4:8

#3 marksturgell

marksturgell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:00 AM

Sounds like you are doing good work, Mark.  Keep making a difference!

Thank you, CJ.  Are there any books you or your wife would particularly recommend?

Mark Sturgell, CBC

Mark Sturgell personal and business strategist who works with individuals, teams and organizations to overcome the challenges they face, improve performance and achieve breakthrough results by providing a no-nonsense structure and process for growth.

Mark is also a personal and organizational coach and facilitator who lifts up the church and it's leaders. I listen, encourage, train and inspire so their ministries can endure and thrive. 

#4 holly.lambert

holly.lambert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana USA

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:29 AM

Mark hope all your prayers are answered.  Certainly is a good idea to give some LIFE Leadership books to those who can't get them otherwise.

• marksturgell likes this

#5 mistydawn128

mistydawn128

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

Confidence of a Champion
The Slight Edge
The Magic of Thinking Big

How to Win Friends and Influence People

• ejbrodberg74, SarahLHaddon and marksturgell like this

#6 Donna

Donna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDecatur, IL

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:15 PM

Mark, I'm currently reading "Attitude Is Everything" by Jeff Keller. I find it enlightening as to why I've done things in my life. Understanding self is vital to making positive changes. Maybe this is one book that would help. "Personality Plus" is another. Thank you for what you're doing with these ladies.
  • SarahLHaddon likes this
Donna Adcock<p>He who has the Son has life...

#7 SuprStiehl

SuprStiehl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:46 PM

Mark, awesome job!
There are a bunch to choose from in the LIFE store. Just a few that pop into my mind:

Attitude is everything
The power of a womans words
The Bible!
Dealing with difficult people
Pails
Financial fitness
Confidence of a champion
Toughen up
Any of the top 5
The ant and elephant
Tons in the Faith section on finding purpose and such

Have fun Mark and keep us posted!
  • SarahLHaddon and marksturgell like this

#8 marksturgell

marksturgell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:18 AM

Confidence of a Champion
The Slight Edge
The Magic of Thinking Big

How to Win Friends and Influence People

Thank you! All of these books are among the first group I am giving to the correctional center.  I have a few donors who are helping me expand my list, as well, so titles of a few specific favorites are very much appreciated.

• ejbrodberg74 and mistydawn128 like this

Mark Sturgell, CBC

#9 marksturgell

marksturgell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:19 AM

Mark, awesome job!
There are a bunch to choose from in the LIFE store. Just a few that pop into my mind:

Attitude is everything
The power of a womans words
The Bible!
Dealing with difficult people
Pails
Financial fitness
Confidence of a champion
Toughen up
Any of the top 5
The ant and elephant
Tons in the Faith section on finding purpose and such

Have fun Mark and keep us posted!

Thank you! About half of these are on the list to be donated so far.  Are there specific favorite titles, especially those targeting women specifically that you would recommend?

• ejbrodberg74 and marksturgell like this

Mark Sturgell, CBC

#10 Karl Brinkhoff

Karl Brinkhoff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCleveland,Ohio

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:54 PM

Mark,

Getting our materials in prison libraries was actually an idea I had. I'm glad someone else thought of it too. I have yet to act on it though. Here is one possible idea. I travel a lot for my job. Whenever I pass a Goodwill or thrift store I stop to check out their books. Often times I find titles that are in our system ranging from .50 cents to $2.00. I'm starting to accumulate quite a few. This may be a way to slowly stock the library. 

• ejbrodberg74 and SarahLHaddon like this

#11 Nick

Nick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis, Missouri

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:07 PM

Way to lead Mark! This will be an inspiring addition to your life's work indeed my friend!

D.R.E.A.M.

Nick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: charity, donations, women, library, inspiration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users