I just finished the LIFE subscription book 'We hold these truths to be self-evident' by Oliver DeMille. Talk about a thought-provoking, short read book, that provides great and clear insight into the heart of why our countries here in North America are quickly slipping into the abyss of socialism! The gist of this book is to explain the original and only true role of government is to to protect its people from having their inalienable rights, established by 'natural' laws, violated. Orrin Woodward is quoted in Mr. DeMille's book saying that, 'The future of freedom and prosperity depends on millions of us understanding natural law and the proper role of government.'
So what is natural law? Thomas Jefferson said that natural laws are those 'self-evident' laws that are higher than man-made laws. Examples would be the law of gravity, or thou shall not kill, or thou shall not steal, thou shall not bear false witness, etc… Natural law establishes our inalienable rights to life, liberty, owning property and the pursuit of happiness. The government's role is to protect these rights by way off stopping criminals and foreign invaders who are looking to violate and plunder. Therefore, the government's role should be limited to the protection of our inalienable rights, and when it grows past just protecting our rights, it actually starts to violate us and take our freedoms versus protect us. Unfortunately, most of the man-made laws in our countries are not in place to protect our God-given rights, but to unfairly take from one and give to another for a whole laundry list of what many would argue to be 'good' reasons, but sadly not the right reasons. To make a long post short, you have to read this book! It will give you the clarity and confidence to know what is going on in your country and what to do about it!
Here are a few examples of federal & state laws that protect natural law and our inalienable rights and a few man-made laws that violate natural law and our rights and therefore are slowly, but surely stealing our freedom.
1) 'it is illegal to drink and drive in this country' > protects our right to life.
2) 'it is illegal to hold another person as a slave' > protects our right to liberty and pursuit of happiness
3) 'it is illegal to take your neighbors grill just because you like it and you are stronger' > protects our right to property
1) Most of the taxes we are lawfully required to pay (this is MASSIVE, with hundreds of violating laws all under one umbrella, and we are getting absolutely fleeced) > violates the natural law of 'thou shall not steal'. Only the portion of our tax money that goes to our self-defense is protecting… Some of the military, police, fire department, border patrol, prisons, etc...
2) No smoking in restaurants. Don't get me wrong, I am not a smoker, nor am I fond of smelling smoke while I am eating, or ever for that matter, but a restaurant is a privately owned business and the business owner should have the right to say smoking or not, just as the customer has the right to say lets go to this restaurant or not. > violates our right of liberty and opens the door for a whole lot more government intervention like the proposed ban of large soft drinks in NYC!
3) Abortion. No brainer > violates the right to life!
With all this being said, can you think of any other federal or state laws or programs in our country that protect our self-evident rights provided by natural law? How about any others that are not in place to protect our inalienable rights and are therefore plundering our freedoms? Unfortunately, many of these are hidden under the umbrella of 'taxes for the common good', but I have all the confidence in the world that you amazing LIFE Leadership people will come up with many more!!!