• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rademacherj1

rademacherj1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

In my endeavors, I have come across a fair about of people that are book worms but were not particularly interested in thee audios.  For instance, my dad is a regular reader and almost always has a book he is working on.  I would love to have the ability to have a "Book of the Month" subscription series that I could offer to retail customers.

Obviously audios are critical to the business, especially since there is no 3rd party supplier and the fact that the margin is so great on a CD and the appeal reaches out to many non-readers out there.

I just feel that a "Book of the Month" could be a good low entry niche to help people get some basic subscribers that could be converted into a LIFE or LLR subscriber.   I just think of people receiving a few short but powerful books in the first few months (Attitude is Everything, Ant & The Elephant, Edgy Conversations, etc).  Or even a book and complimenting CD (I loved listening to Orrin's talk on Ant & Elephant along with the book).

I have also thought of other types of publications that could appeal to the business world out there. I was sitting in the Dentist office last week and thought "Boy, wouldn't it be great to have a 8F magazine subscription to sell to doctors, dentists, etc.  

I'm sure there are several factors to consider from a business perspective.  The gears in my head are always turning and I love the fact that we have this forum as a tool to share.   I would love to hear what others think on this topic.  

• Jeremy Pottberg and Keith & Lynn Burns like this

#2 Jim Steward

Jim Steward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationModesto CA

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

That's a great idea. The only obstacle to that would be the pricing, I think  All the books have retail pricing on the back cover and you would have to have a price point at the cover price.

• rademacherj1 likes this

#3 rademacherj1

rademacherj1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

True, thought I am under the assumption that many of the books in circulation are purchased in bulk wholesale rate which would leave a decent margin to work with.  Especially the books that are published within the community (Resolved, Rascal, LLR, Confidence of a Champion, etc).  

The more i think of it, I do like the idea of a leadership or 8 F style magazine publication.  Of course this would take a lot of work together, but it would be more content produced directly within the company (like the audios) and could have a lot of appeal to business and retail sales.  Just think of all the content that is produced by all the blog's from the PC members!  

Just throwing it out there  :lol:

• Marc Page, mistydawn128 and Ammon Nelson like this

#4 Ammon Nelson

Ammon Nelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationWeber County, Utah

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:22 PM

I have had a similar problem, except the reverse - I have potential customers that would love 4 CDs every month, but cringe at a monthly book that they won't be able to keep up with and piling up.  I have considered offering that every month, if they don't want to keep the book that they receive, I would purchase it back from them at the retail price.  Not sure how duplicatable that is, and I'll be counseling upline on it before i actually do it, but that's an idea that could be a little more duplicateable with buying their CDs rather than their book.

"The first step in any effective application of knowledge is getting the knowledge. The first step in changing the world is to first transform oneself. Always. If what you read isn't transforming you in a positive way, it has no value - to anyone. Pick better books, a better venue for learning, a better set of mentors.  Invest the time to give yourself a real leadership education, one in which you are not just a passenger but one of the people driving the wagon. Actively pursue excellence."

-Oliver DeMille and Brad Bolon

#5 Chris Brady

Chris Brady

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 838 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

Folks:

One thing to remember here: we are in the business of educating people.  It's important to satisfy the customer's wants and demands, sure, but in many cases, we also have to educate him/her. 

In the case of this whole thing about one customer only wants books, and another only wants recordings, etc., there is a method to our madness.  I would suggest to you that it is our job to help the customer understand that our packages are the way they are by design.  We know that information absorbed in little doses, over time, is key to lasting change.  We also know that learning must happen through a combination of different medium, and that reading is reinforced by listening is reinforced by reading, and on and on.

We could certainly start splitting things out for the small handful of customers who think they know what they want/need, but we KNOW what works, and are afraid to sell something just to sell something.  We are very surgical in our desire to sell information that both content-wise and format-wise, in combination, will produce the best results.   This is why the main subscriptions are a combination of books and audios.

This may not totally satisfy some clients, but it's our formula and I think we're going to largely stick with it.

HOWEVER, with all of that being said, we have had HOURS and HOURS of conversation around perhaps modifying one of the subscriptions in a way that we don't overwhelm the purchaser of all the subscriptions with more books than can legitimately be absorbed in the course of a normal, busy life.  Stay tuned for where this eventually shakes out, but know that when it comes to messing with a formula that has worked so well for so many for so long, we make changes very carefully and slowly.

CB

• sscolvin, James Kozak, mistydawn128 and 1 other like this

#6 mistydawn128

mistydawn128

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:39 PM

I have had a similar problem, except the reverse - I have potential customers that would love 4 CDs every month, but cringe at a monthly book that they won't be able to keep up with and piling up.  I have considered offering that every month, if they don't want to keep the book that they receive, I would purchase it back from them at the retail price.  Not sure how duplicatable that is, and I'll be counseling upline on it before i actually do it, but that's an idea that could be a little more duplicateable with buying their CDs rather than their book.

I've found the Rascal Radio to be good for that case.  Not always, but it's good for the audio-only part.  

• jacobandjulia and Ammon Nelson like this

#7 Neal Ruffner

Neal Ruffner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrand Blanc, MI

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:38 AM

In the case of this whole thing about one customer only wants books, and another only wants recordings, etc., there is a method to our madness.  I would suggest to you that it is our job to help the customer understand that our packages are the way they are by design.  We know that information absorbed in little doses, over time, is key to lasting change.  We also know that learning must happen through a combination of different medium, and that reading is reinforced by listening is reinforced by reading, and on and on.

We could certainly start splitting things out for the small handful of customers who think they know what they want/need, but we KNOW what works, and are afraid to sell something just to sell something.  We are very surgical in our desire to sell information that both content-wise and format-wise, in combination, will produce the best results.   This is why the main subscriptions are a combination of books and audios.

CB

Well said Chris! It has worked for years now!! :)

Neal Ruffner

Liberators

LT-IT

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books, subscription

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users