Photo

To All LIFE Leadership Speakers...

Sense of humor Speaker Funny Influences Speaking style Life coach Senior coordinator Public speaking Coordinator

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Charles Gopez

Charles Gopez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

For all those on LIFE Leadership's speaker circuit, how would you describe your own personal sense of humor and the influences and sources from which you've derived it?
  • careywh18 and angeliquefk11 like this

#2 CJ Calvert

CJ Calvert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:22 AM

Hey Charles, great question. I actually hesitated answering for risk of sending you off-track, because alot of my sense of humor was honed listening to comedy cds while in high school long before I was exposed To the culture of LIFE.

But, risking honesty, I particularly enjoyed the cds of comics like Jerry Seinfeld. He was pretty Clean, and delivered jokes in a self-deprecating style (poking fun at himself instead of others) and used a lot of observational humor (noticing the silly things in daily life, like braile on the keypad of drive-through bank machines.)

What I would do, and still do, is hear a comedian tell a joke, and I would repeat it and practice the way they said the words: the emphasis, the pause before the punchline, etc. I try to memorize one-liners and and have them ready for the perfect moment. A month ago, an audience member at an open made a comment and I quickly replied with a one-liner I had saved for over a year, waiting for the right opportunity. I think it was Mark Twain who said, it takes three weeks to rehearse an impromptu speech.

The internet is full of great jokes and YouTube has a ton of great clips. But might I suggest starting first with studying the jokes you hear on LIFE cds, especially Chris Brady. For example, 20 Mile March has some great jokes.

"They're never here! Why? Because they're in therapy."
"Just replace the swear words with y'all... "
"... And country rap - I'm in!"

Study the delivery of a good joke, say it out loud to get the intonation, rewind the cd and repeat. Don't just memorize the words of a joke; really rehearse the way you are going to deliver it. Be on the hunt for great material, especially your own life. When I make a bone-head move in my daily life, it becomes material for the stage.

Hope it helps!
  • smiesmom, LibbyFrench, Marc Page and 1 other like this

Choose to live an exceptional LIFE!  Phillippians 4:8

#3 sherryfix

sherryfix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:15 PM

This is something I've struggled with for a while because I am NOT such a funny person, but I DO have a great sense of humor (I think).  Anyway, I have found, like CJ said, many very good jokes on the internet that are clean and have great relevance to our stages.  I have turned them into jokes about my husband and myself or just myself, and as a result, people have come up to him and me and asked if those things really happened.  Which makes it all even funnier.  I have been learning more and more lately how to fit things in to my talks at the right time and tie them in to what I am talking about.  It's been challenging and I'm sure Chris Brady is a total natural at it, (or it sure seems like he is with all his facial expressions and voices and jokes), but he inspires me by them and makes his talks so much better as a result of his ease with humor.  

Another speaker that I just love his humor is Dean Frey.  His last couple CD's in system and life pack have been totally great!!  I love that we can learn these speaking skills from such great leaders.  I never in my wildest dreams ever thought about being a speaker in front of people (still don't but improving).

Thanks for the question and thanks to all the leaders for their speaking examples!!  

#4 Claude

Claude

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

what u don't want to do is change who u are, i tried in the beginning to emulate someone who i was nothing like and very quickly lost one of my strengths, sincerity. So I love CJs advice, the only thing i would add is to stay true to who u are. I think on the PC we have many styles and u can find one that is like your own and take direction from it. Of course Brady is so relatable i think and speaking style and use his stuff!

• CJ Calvert likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sense of humor, Speaker, Funny, Influences, Speaking style, Life coach, Senior coordinator, Public speaking, Coordinator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users