17 replies to this topic

#1 Hunting.Targ

Hunting.Targ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

Okay, here's the question:

If you could add or change exactly ONE book in the Top 5, would you, which one, and why?

(Okay, so it's a three-part question!)

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself.  Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.

-Bruce Lee

#2 Lee Weishar

Lee Weishar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:54 AM

None! I wouldn't change any...

They were chosen by the PC for a reason, and they have more results than me. Even if there was something I liked better, I would stick with what the people who have the fruit on the tree suggest  :)

• clentreprise, PhilipBrittain, Ammon Nelson and 1 other like this

#3 Neal Ruffner

Neal Ruffner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrand Blanc, MI

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

Seems tough to go against decades of business experience that is compiled in those 5 books...

• Ammon Nelson likes this

Neal Ruffner

Liberators

LT-IT

#4 Neal Ruffner

Neal Ruffner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrand Blanc, MI

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

But it might be cool to have a Top 5 from outside of the Life Leadership team, and have a Top 5 internally produced books from Life Leaders. So I wouldn't say replace any of them, maybe just have an additional Top 5 or Top Recommended books to go along with them. 

• Brenda Hatcher, Radine!, John Feldhouse and 3 others like this

Neal Ruffner

Liberators

LT-IT

#5 John Feldhouse

John Feldhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

Ok, I'll play along. If I HAD TO change one book, it would be to swap How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling and replace it with Orrin's Resolved

Resolved really is one of the best books I've read. I reference it (just about) daily.

"Be curious, not judgmental."
              – Walt Whitman

#6 CJ Calvert

CJ Calvert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

Okay, like John, I will play along:

Let's suppose we can make it the top SIX.  What book would I add?

Confidence of a Champion.  Hands down.

• SusanPetersonFL, John Feldhouse, PhilipBrittain and 3 others like this

Choose to live an exceptional LIFE!  Phillippians 4:8

#7 Evan G

Evan G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

Ya I agree with CJ, Confidence of a Champion should be in there somewhere.

#8 Adriano Troli

Adriano Troli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

I wouldn't change them at all... i would simply add to them and create a top 10

Silght Edge

Resolved

CoC (Confidence of a champion)

Five Love languages

and Anatomy of Peace

• Brenda Hatcher and Chris Potocnik like this

Adriano Troli

Kaizen Steadfast

If we're not up, We're getting up!

#9 rnpalacios

rnpalacios

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

I agree with CJ as well. If I had to change one, it would be How to have Power And Confidence When Dealing With People. I would replace it with Confidece of a Champion...or Toughen Up.
  • CJ Calvert and PhilipBrittain like this

#10 Tracey

Tracey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSimcoe, Ontario

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

I agree that the top 5 is the Top 5 for a reason. All books included are definite must reads. One I have always thought should be added is The Five Love Languages..as every person, married or single, young or old, could truly benefit from learning these principles. Another I would add, especially for the new member, would be The Ant and the Elephant. The book is an easy read for those not yet accustomed to reading, and teaches the basics of attitude alignment in such a simple tale. As I write this, though, so many others come to mind...as it is so hard to pick, we are so fortunate that our leaders picked the Top 5 for us! :)

• danny.kellenberger likes this

#11 Chris Murphy

Chris Murphy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationRedford, MI

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

I would have to agree, I am a phlegmatic/melancholy dude. Lots of great traits and potential but never let it out do to a Passive and self critical nature, been chewing on myself for years even after reading top 5. But that "Confidence of a champion" did a lot for me. Tim wrote the best book on the topic. And I think If you have Confidence of a champion and How to win friends, you basically have the stuff covered in Power and Confidence but with more details.

#12 jonnygroves

jonnygroves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationKentwood, MI

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

I would definitely add The 5 Love Languages

• danny.kellenberger and Marc Page like this

#13 Josh & Denise Bayless

Josh & Denise Bayless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

I would add the Bible.....Top 1.... 

• Jeremy Pottberg and hans.rohne like this

#14 Tina.Abernathy

Tina.Abernathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

Someone else's experience in the best teacher so these have been tried and found true I would only ADD 1 and I think it would be The Slight Edge

Aaaaoooo

• Marc Page likes this

#15 Mike Kolp

Mike Kolp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:07 PM

Great Question!!! There is of course the top 50 book list to dig from. Although several books could be substituted or included, I love handing out these books and getting feedback from all kinds of people. What I here most is "I can't believe this book was written that long ago and I haven't read it but the material is so true". When these principles are time tested and true, they carry weight and speak volumes. I like that they are truly the top 5 for life. I mean LIFE too, but life in general. All professions and individuals benefit a great deal when reading these Top 5 essential books.

Now to play the game, The Slight Edge is a close TOP 5 1/2.

• Marc Page likes this

#16 BRAVEHEARTJEFF

BRAVEHEARTJEFF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:28 AM

Okay, like John, I will play along:

Let's suppose we can make it the top SIX.  What book would I add?

Confidence of a Champion.  Hands down.

OK CJ,

Let's do the TOP 10:

6. Confindence of A Champion

7. Resolved

8. LLR

9. Mentoring Matters

10. Slight Edge

Not BAD from someone who took 16 Months(after someone had given it to me) to pick up "The Magic of Thinking Big" and tear out a page a day for 7 days and take to work with me to read!  FYI -- one of my biggest mistakes in LIFE, not to read good books earlier in my LIFE!!

• Marc Page likes this

#17 Miriam Schilling

Miriam Schilling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:28 PM

I don't know if I could take out "How to have Power and Confidence in dealing with People...." That book has taught me and the 95% world that we truly can change who we are through ACTION, how we feel through ACTION, and how others view us through ACTION! Positive Personality Profiles is a great start to the top books in terms of personalities, but I would like to see a more in depth book on personalities. (I have gone on-line to a credible site on showing how the 4 "primary" personalities, can be combined into 16 "secondary" ones) That information really helped me appreciate how God has given us similarities, but has also gifted us with individual talents and abilities. That has shown me an appreciation for the intricate way we are each set up instead of just being a "Silly, forgetful Sanguine," or a "Lazy Phlegmatics" etc.... 

#18 Adam & Teesa Rossman

Adam & Teesa Rossman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationRockford, IL

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:38 PM

If I had to take one out, I'm not sure what it would be.  But if I had to put one in, I think I would try to make it something that was more of a story or fiction.  For people who are coming into the business who have never read non-fiction, or never read at all, these books can be intimidating.  So, it would be neat to hand them something like "The Greatest Salesman in the World" by Og Mandino.

• Marc Page likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Top 5, books, reading, leadership, skills

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users