12 replies to this topic

#1 Aiz

Aiz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

LIFEr's,

Often from stage leaders promote and encourage us to journal. I value the idea and love reading others "journals" in the form of biographies. I can see how they can aid in the PDCA process and capturing the journey. However, personally I have always found journal writing extraordinarily overwhelming! Probably become my melancholy takes over and I feel like it has to be "perfect". I often think about journal writing but rarely take the plunge because I know it could turn into an all night adventure. I'd love to hear from others who journal. What do you capture? What works for you? If you can relate at all to my writer's block... what helped you overcome it?

Thanks in advance!

Aiz

• Steve K and SusanPetersonFL like this

#2 SusanPetersonFL

SusanPetersonFL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationFort Myers, FL

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

Great topic Aiz and I feel exactly the same way & have been curious how our leaders journal.  I'm not worried about the melancholy "perfect" part, just the up all night doing it.  I, too, don't know where to start or is it like a diary I kept when I was a young girl?  Do you journal thoughts, goals, accomplishments, feelings, or all & anything that comes to mind?

#3 reneehammons

reneehammons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationBremen, Indiana

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

A great book on journaling is "Fresh Brewed Life" by Nicole Johnson. As far as I know this book is not available through LIFE. I have, however, heard it referenced from stage by Amy Marks if I remember correctly.

Renee Hammons

BBNQ

#4 SusanPetersonFL

SusanPetersonFL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationFort Myers, FL

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:54 AM

A great book on journaling is "Fresh Brewed Life" by Nicole Johnson. As far as I know this book is not available through LIFE. I have, however, heard it referenced from stage by Amy Marks if I remember correctly.

Thanks very much Renee; I shall check Amazon for it.

• reneehammons likes this

#5 Brandonperry

Brandonperry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

I just write the thoughts going through my mind or the days events. Things I'm reading and learning and where I see myself growing. If I ever have a block I just take a few days off.

#6 Aiz

Aiz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:33 AM

Thanks to all of you who have replied so far. Hmm that book sounds familiar, I need to go check it out too. :-) ha, I think I may have even read it 5 or so years ago. If it's the same book, I remember really appreciating the authors perspective at the time. I don't remember much about the details though.

#7 Coloneldad

Coloneldad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

I started a journal when I was a teen, but I lost much of it.  I have been able to keep up a journal since I was about 20.  I have been mostly good at keeping it but have had weeks or even a few months without writing in it.  My kids have found it fun to read some of the older entries when I was younger and see what I went through.  It's great way to teach them that mom and dad aren't so stuffy and don't know what they may be experiencing.  It's also great to look back from time to time to see where you've come from and how far you've gone.  

I currently keep it on computer in a word document.  I periodically back it up as well as print it out for a hard copy.  Having lost some entries due to not backing them up in time can be frustrating.  

• Danielsnach likes this

David

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crises. The great point is to bring them them the real facts.

Abraham Lincoln

#8 Steve K

Steve K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWashington, MO

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

Aiz,

I can't remember who showed me this tool but I use a template in Evernote to guide my thoughts as I journal (I'm trying to get more consistent but by using Evernote on my phone I can put thoughts down throughout the day); but you might use questions like these as a guide to get you into more detailed journaling... especially if you start small & then add your own questions & style as you grow!

Yesterday

What did I do yesterday?

What lessons did I learn?

Now

What am I thankful for right now?

How am I feeling right now?

Today

What did I read today?

What are my plans for today?

What one thing must I accomplish today?

• chgirard likes this

It's a great day to be in LIFE!

#9 DomenicaStratman

DomenicaStratman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:25 PM

LIFEr's,

Often from stage leaders promote and encourage us to journal. I value the idea and love reading others "journals" in the form of biographies. I can see how they can aid in the PDCA process and capturing the journey. However, personally I have always found journal writing extraordinarily overwhelming! Probably become my melancholy takes over and I feel like it has to be "perfect". I often think about journal writing but rarely take the plunge because I know it could turn into an all night adventure. I'd love to hear from others who journal. What do you capture? What works for you? If you can relate at all to my writer's block... what helped you overcome it?

Thanks in advance!

Aiz

I can completely relate. :) I sometimes would over-think the process which would result in me finding other things to do with my time than to journal. What I have found that works best for me is I've started sending emails to myself. I can do this from my phone or at my desk. When something significant happens, I send myself an email and then I store all these emails in a folder. This will make it easier to locate certain entries or topics with a word search than to read page by page or to locate the one journal or book you need for your talk.  I send myself moments that I am thankful for and moments during and after PDCA moments. Sometimes it's just good to purge and delete. Nothing will ever take the place of taking a pen to paper, but if you're in a bind for time, this may be an alternative that could help you record those "teachable moments", but not take an entire afternoon to do it.  :)

#10 Claude

Claude

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

I dont journal but i do something similar. i opened Gmail accounts for each of my boys when they were born. and i have been emailing them since then. So if i take a pic on my phone, i write a note and email it to their accounts. its a habit now. both me and my wife do it. i checked the other day and my 2 year old has over 1000 emails. i have the passwords in my will in case we die. i am not sure when i will give them the password, when i die? or when they leave home? haven't decided. but i lvd doing it.

• ejbrodberg74 and SuprStiehl like this

#11 samwilson

samwilson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:23 AM

I have started just keeping a journal by my bed and with me in my car.  this way I can journal my thoughts and wishes and all at all times.

#12 Nick

Nick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis, Missouri

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

LIFEr's,

Thanks in advance!
Aiz

Hi Aiz!

We understand what you mean....COMPLETELY. Many times (for us) it's just a personal choice of do we jot this down or forget forever? And once that question is asked mentally...out comes the little notebook or journal pad. We even use our iPad as way to journal in the short run until we can transfer it to paper. Just idea my friend!

Nick & Phyllis

D.R.E.A.M.

Nick

#13 Mark.Stamps

Mark.Stamps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:12 PM

I totally relate with the journaling struggle. I too have seen the value in it forever, but I couldn't manage to do it until recently.

I use the maxim 'first write down everything, then you'll learn what's important'. (Movie line from Memphis Belle). Once i opened up to writing anything I found myself taking notes at opens, jotting down thoughts from scripture reading, mind mapping ideas, and writing down all kinda of stuff.

I don't know if that helps but I wish you all the best on your pursuit!

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users