#1 Evan G

Evan G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

I was curious as to how everyone keeps track of books that they have read. Personally I use Goodreads. Does anyone else use Goodreads? Or do you prefer writing it down somewhere?

• roslynat18, jamieer69, henrymn60 and 24 others like this

#2 Claude

Claude

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

keeping track!! i open the book and if the pages have spilled coffee and notes and highlighting in the pages then i read it....

Just kidding, i used to keep every book i ever purchased or received as BOM. I also use to receive 25 to 50 books a month from publishers to review in hopes  would use it as a BOM in our organization. so they piled up quick. 

eventually what i did was decided to keep every book i have actually read on my shelves, i have a spot for books I am going to read, and all the other books i give away. So if you see it on my shelf I have read it.

• Scott.Staley, Kyle Herminath, Nick.tzekos and 3 others like this

#3 Evan G

Evan G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

I am gonna have to start doing that soon too. I am running out of space on my shelves. LIFE has turned me into a book monster.

• lindsay.mckean, Kyle Herminath, Tyrell Mentzer and 4 others like this

#4 Neal Ruffner

Neal Ruffner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrand Blanc, MI

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

We use a very simple Word document: 

December 2013
46.  Edge
47. Wild At Heart
48. The Weight of Your Words

January 2014
1. We Hold These Truths to Be Self-Evident
2. Man’s Search for Meaning

February 2014
3.  Psycho-Cybernetics
4. Six Attitudes for Winners

And of course actually writing the dates in the book like Chris Brady recommends in Turn the Page. But this word document is more of like a journal. Hope this helps. 

• Michael R likes this

Neal Ruffner

Liberators

LT-IT

#5 Claude

Claude

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

as a side note, Chris Bradys book "Turn the Page" is an amazing book. I am giving it to everyone. my family, friends, i keep 2 or 3 in my packsack to give when i talk to people or even cold contact with it.

its funny, years ago I gave my brothers a few books for Christmas. they said thanks but you could tell they weren't that thrilled. well i had taped 100 dollar bills in each book. so they literally had 4 hundred bucks in the books i gave them for Christmas. Then over the years they would ask me to borrow money etc and im sure were broke sometimes and a few hundred would really come in handy. LOL

and the whole time just a few feet away was a couple hundred dollars. I always asked them if they read the books and they assured me that they had!!

• lindsay.mckean, Scott.Staley, ChrisHogervorst and 24 others like this

#6 lindsay.mckean

lindsay.mckean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Hi Evan,

I like to use my LIFE Calender for keeping track as there is a spot especially for it. (top right corner in each month) Since we are running the roads and chasing our dreams we need to utilize  what we have with us in the car.  Our calender is always on us and we track a lot of different things in there including the books we read. Now, we always have a record of what books we read and in what month/year!  You can always go back and reference from it as well.

When we come home we do what Claude does and add the read books to our bookshelf.  I can`t even imagine how many books are on Claude`s bookshelf that he has read and learned from, we will have the same one day!!!  Great job on becoming a book monster, LEADERS ARE READERS!!!

• Mike Gorski, SusanPetersonFL, Evan G and 1 other like this

#7 AaronZgud

AaronZgud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOakville, Ontario

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

Lindsay Said it best!! The LIFE Calander is the best way to track what books you have read, once you have filled up your calander you can go back through the months and easily see how many and what books you have read!!

Congrats on RT Rick and Lindsay!! Thanks for being a great example!

• Michael R likes this

#8 Chris Brady

Chris Brady

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 838 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

as a side note, Chris Bradys book "Turn the Page" is an amazing book. I am giving it to everyone. my family, friends, i keep 2 or 3 in my packsack to give when i talk to people or even cold contact with it.

its funny, years ago I gave my brothers a few books for Christmas. they said thanks but you could tell they weren't that thrilled. well i had taped 100 dollar bills in each book. so they literally had 4 hundred bucks in the books i gave them for Christmas. Then over the years they would ask me to borrow money etc and im sure were broke sometimes and a few hundred would really come in handy. LOL

and the whole time just a few feet away was a couple hundred dollars. I always asked them if they read the books and they assured me that they had!!

Claude!  That's hilarious!!  I'm going to try that with some people!!!!

• Scott.Staley, Neal Ruffner, DWRascalROKofKaizen and 3 others like this

#9 Adriano Troli

Adriano Troli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

I LOVE IT!  Gotta get my brother to read some books like that :P

Adriano Troli

Kaizen Steadfast

If we're not up, We're getting up!

#10 Chris Brady

Chris Brady

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 838 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

Hey everyone!

Just so you realize how powerful these Forums are, after reading this thread of comments, we've decided to make a "Books Read Tracking Form" in the back of future versions of the LIFE Leadership calendars (both sizes, of course).  

This is something I have always done personally, as we mentioned in the "Turn the Page" book, but having a specific form for it in the back of the calendar should systematize it for everyone.

Stay tuned!

CB

• ejbrodberg74, Sharon Hoffman, Aiz and 15 others like this

#11 Evan G

Evan G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

That's sweet. Good thing i decided to ask.

• John Feldhouse likes this

#12 Claude

Claude

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

look at Chris Brady putting the SMACKDOWN on the book tracking problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Go CHRIS GO CHRIS GO GO GO CHRIS!!!!!!!!!

• ejbrodberg74, Sharon Hoffman, SusanPetersonFL and 5 others like this

#13 Lee Weishar

Lee Weishar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

Right now I'm using my blog.

http://leadershiptof...m/reading-list/

After reading Turn the Page, I realized how little I was reading compared to how much I should be, and I also saw the importance of tracking it better.

So now I track it for the whole world to see! anyone can see what I've read, and will start seeing the dates I start and finish books from now on. Do you think this will keep me more accountable? No chance of hiding any lack of reading!

• JesusH likes this

#14 CJ Calvert

CJ Calvert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:28 AM

I keep a log in my Evernote app on my cellphone.

Choose to live an exceptional LIFE!  Phillippians 4:8

#15 Brandonperry

Brandonperry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

There's a reading challenge offered on goodreads and it helps me keep track of how many books I've read and which books I read in the calendar year

#16 Charles Hysen

Charles Hysen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationHolland, mi

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

I write the date I started and the date I finished in the back of the book, and I keep a set of shelves for the books I have read.

#17 Chris Potocnik

Chris Potocnik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationErin, Ontario

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

Personally when i pick up a book to read, right on the inside cover ill write down the date i started it, and when i finish it on the inside of the back cover i write down my finish date. Neatly of course cause i'm sure ill have to put multiple dates in there.

• David Smale and cpagen like this

Chris 

#18 ChrisHogervorst

ChrisHogervorst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationGuelph, ON

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

I do a combination of the above posted. Like Lindsay said, I use my LIFE calendar to track books finished in the month and also write the date I finished the book on a blank page at the start of the book. I figure this way I can easily picks book back up and quickly see how long it has been since reading it (so far for books like The Top 5 and in the Top 50).

Side note back to Claude- one day I will try that !
  • Sharon.Lalor likes this

#19 Neal Ruffner

Neal Ruffner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrand Blanc, MI

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

Hey everyone!

Just so you realize how powerful these Forums are, after reading this thread of comments, we've decided to make a "Books Read Tracking Form" in the back of future versions of the LIFE Leadership calendars (both sizes, of course).  

This is something I have always done personally, as we mentioned in the "Turn the Page" book, but having a specific form for it in the back of the calendar should systematize it for everyone.

Stay tuned!

CB

Awesome Chris!! Always pushing forward and making everything better!!! Thanks!

Neal Ruffner

Liberators

LT-IT

#20 sgtmom1-Angel

sgtmom1-Angel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationFielding, Utah

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:15 AM

I can say confidently 98% of the books we (My husband and I) own I have read. Many I picked up years ago and read portions of now I am working my way through again. My husband would have said a year ago that I had a book problem. Now it seems it is a matter of who buys the book first. We have book shelves in every room of the house currently ~ 50 ft long x 5 ft tall average-if all of our books case were put together the full length of our home. This was after 10 years ago going through and getting rid of half or the books and basically rebuilding my library seeking classics both old and new. I home school my kids and have a similar plan for our grand children. I know planning so far in the future, but we know they will need to learn and get a quality education. Honestly I love to read and always have. 

I track current reading in Facebook, but also report to my mentors. I keep a list (that needs to be updated) on my blogger http://freedomlifeli...e.blogspot.com/ If you do take a look at my blog understand I am new to blogging and still figuring blogging out. Plus I take a picture of the current stack with my phone, which doe not include my ebooks. I read on a rotating basis during the week about 15-20 which will take me 3-4 months depending on the subject matter and how it hits me at the time I am reading. I will add something my kids are reading to keep in touch with them too and their interest. This allows me to see what life lesson they learned from the books, the characters and How they can apply those lessons. Book discussion is always fun with the strong silent youth (young man). Usually initials, Start Date and finish date inside cover. 

http://freedomlifeli...e.blogspot.com/

Listening to many, many Audios and Reading from several books at once, absorbing and integrating the information, Transforming myself into the woman I need to be to fulfill my mission and purpose which Heavenly Father put me me on earth to do.  

#21 StephanieW

StephanieW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

Thanks Chris!  I use one of the 'note' pages in my current Life calendar to keep track of the books I've read and plan on reading.  I have a goal so it helps me stay on track.   It's also a great spot to jot down books that are mentioned by speakers and recommended by my mentor. 

#22 charlesmcintyre

charlesmcintyre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

That's awesome! Claude, wonder if that would work as a technique for our kids as well (tape a $5 bill in the book)?!

#23 Stu Hall

Stu Hall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

I use the same method as Claude. If its on my bookshelf, I've read it.

the taping money into books story is hilarious!!

Stu

#24 David Smale

David Smale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

Claude thats awesome. By the way do you have any "extra" books I could borrow

#25 Karl Brinkhoff

Karl Brinkhoff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCleveland,Ohio

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

I write the date read on the inside cover. Plus, in my profile on Facebook I add books that I read. Partly to keep track for myself, partly to show off, partly to inspire others to turn off the television and start to read. It takes a while but some Facebook friends have noticed. I know my cousin was inspired and ask me once to send her a list of the books I read.

#26 Tyler PrudHomme

Tyler PrudHomme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPincourt, Quebec, CA

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

Hey Evan! Great thread-topic!  :) 
Scrolling through the responses, you've got a plethora of valuable insight from some of the best!

My personal response is, I took advice from some of the best, and devour my books: I simply refuse to read without a working pen (blue) in my hands (I say working, because it's not uncommon now for me to be finding myself with ink-deprived pens!) Underlining, circling, boxing, writing summaries of important paragraphs, commenting on stories/examples, noting principles and starring quotes.. This is all a skill you develop while reading. I too, mark the beginning and finished dates at the beginning of books I've read, and can tell by all the blue-ink that's been used to mark up those that I've read. It's like leaving the mark of a killer after the body's been dealt with..  :lol: 

Nothing should ever be taken lightly within the pages of what might've possibly taken years and years of editing and wording: The wisdom, knowledge and experiences shared are all privileges for us to merely read within a handful of combined hours - It's definitely a healthy habit I've picked up and gotten serious about ever since I became exposed to the business! Might have I not ever had this opportunity, I'd still have a half-read SLASH autobiography from 5 years ago being the last thing I picked up on my own!  ;)

• Evan G likes this

#27 JesusH

JesusH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSturgis, MI

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

I'm going to have to do that. I usually give books as birthday presents!
  • Jeremy Pottberg likes this

#28 Aiz

Aiz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

Hey everyone!

Stay tuned!

CB

Chris,

This is a great idea! I love having a quick reference. Haha, sometimes I'm a little too phlegmatic to flip through pages, piles of paper, etc. ;-) (Working on changing that, haha,...but in the meantime... I love the change coming!)

#29 Michael R

Michael R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

LOL! That is awesome Claude! I need to try this with my family.

#30 SusanPetersonFL

SusanPetersonFL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationFort Myers, FL

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

look at Chris Brady putting the SMACKDOWN on the book tracking problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Go CHRIS GO CHRIS GO GO GO CHRIS!!!!!!!!!

You are too funny Claude, but you know this is what Chris does best now.... Thank goodness we have all you PC peeps!!!! You guys keep our "village" safe!!!

#31 Nick

Nick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis, Missouri

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

The LIFE Leadership Calendar is an excellent way to keep up with books read...we do!!
  • JoeTracy likes this

D.R.E.A.M.

Nick

#32 Kristal Seid

Kristal Seid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:14 AM

I've used Goodreads for the last 3 years. I works great for me!

#33 JoeTracy

JoeTracy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:10 PM

I date and initial each book as I complete it.  I also started a "journal" last year that has the Title, Author and a few notes that stuck out to me after reading the books.  This helps me see how far I've come in my journey.  It also helped me as a was writing a blog last month, http://providentiall...rning-the-page/.  Tracy

#34 Coloneldad

Coloneldad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

I currently am using Goodreads to track my books for this year.  I dare say that I need to follow some advice from either Chris or Orrin who said to write in the cover the day you start and then in your journal when you finish.  

David

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crises. The great point is to bring them them the real facts.

Abraham Lincoln

#35 Chris Brady

Chris Brady

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 838 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

I currently am using Goodreads to track my books for this year.  I dare say that I need to follow some advice from either Chris or Orrin who said to write in the cover the day you start and then in your journal when you finish.  

I used to have my books read on goodreads, too, but then someone sent me a very interesting article on privacy, and how the world has no business knowing everything you read. 

I had never thought of that before!

CB

• Coloneldad likes this

#36 Coloneldad

Coloneldad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

I used to have my books read on goodreads, too, but then someone sent me a very interesting article on privacy, and how the world has no business knowing everything you read. 

CB

Good point.  Looks like i'll have to rethink this one.

David

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crises. The great point is to bring them them the real facts.

Abraham Lincoln

#37 Nick.tzekos

Nick.tzekos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

Wow I love all these answers! Claude I am definitely going to use your $100 bill technique with a few people! 

I personally use Chris' techniques with the journal, but my melancholy side of me always thinks what if I lose the journal someday, so I keep an excel spreadsheet of books read.  :D

I will also adapt Claude's shelving technique! This way I will get through the pile faster because there is nothing like the feeling of being able to say- when asked obviously-  "Yes I have read all those books"  B)

Thanks for everyones input......

Time to read

#38 NeilGeisel

NeilGeisel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Pennsylvania

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

CB

Ut oh, I thought I was promoting our great books on goodreads. ( why be goodreads? Shouldn't Life have our own site and call it greatreads!? :) ) If I was reading fictitious material and just entertaining books, no need for alarm. But we read a wide gamut of "controversial" books and authors, the kinds produced from Rascals. I'll have to rethink that as well. Thanks for the warning. 

I still keep a three ring binder for a physical record of books read. I learned that this is my melancholy personality coming out, but I really use this to drive me to read more and goal setting. I have columns "Title of Book" "Pages" "Author" "Genre" "Date Completed" Also they are numbered, so to track how many each year. 

Previously "linkedIn" on the web had a book app for tracking books you've read etc. and I really liked that. However, one day they just ripped that function out! No warning. I lost all of my records and reviews, and that is why I keep the binder. Then I found goodreads and really like that for a lot of reasons. Hmmm, what to do….      I'll look forward to the Life calendar books read tracking section!! woo hoo!

sol_flag_sm.jpg

#39 DomenicaStratman

DomenicaStratman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

This is a great question!

in 2012, My husband and I started a visual "Score Board" to keep track of the books we have read. We set a goal in January, (usually 10% more than we did the previous year) and draw a line down the center of a poster board and write out all the numbers to reach our goal.  We keep our score board in a common area where we can see it every day. For our home, we have ours in our kitchen. Every time we read a book we get to write the name on the list.We set a daily reading requirement to keep us on pace to reach that goal and PDCA to stay on track. If we aren't where we need to be, we adjust by kicking our reading up a gear. It creates a friendly competition between us, but most importantly it creates a drive to hit a new personal best every year. Chris Brady's new book, "Turn the Page", has taken my reading to an entirely new level. Our house should buy stock in highlighters!! lol (jk) But we are constantly going through them or they seem to walk away when you set your book down.  :) This is how the Stratman Family keeps track of our books read. I hope it blesses you. 

#40 debberryman

debberryman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:08 PM

I print the 50 book list from our website, stick it in the back of my calendar, then check them off as I read them. I also mark which of those books is the top 5.

#41 samwilson

samwilson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:20 AM

I have never heard of good reads before.  Is this a free service?

#42 Jeremy Pottberg

Jeremy Pottberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

I have been tweaking my methods over the past few years of being in Life. 

I write the start and finish dates on the Contents page and change the pen color on rereading them to help differentiate my notes and thoughts on multiple readings.

Once completed I put it on a shelf designated for books read in the current year.

Lastly I keep a spreadsheet with all the info for finished books with a few notes on how I enjoyed the book or what a few key insights were after reading it. The spreadsheet is quite helpful in keeping track of all the book recommendations that are made while reading and helps to track them down at the seminars or the Major.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is therefore not an act but a habit." ~Aristotle

"
There is no safety in a significant life, and there is no significance in a safe life." ~Chris Brady

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users